Sunday 20 July 2008

Is there a doctor in the house?

So, the other day I was sitting at the computer in the study when Will comes in looking a bit sheepish, and asks: "Come with me Mum" and, taking my hand he leads me into his bedroom.

Sitting on the floor is Josie surrounded by various random toys. "Sit down Mum". I do as I'm told, wondering where this is all leading. Sitting in front of me he looks me square in the face and says: "I'm Doctor Hurley. What is wrong with you today?"

A smile starts to creep across my face at the seriousness of it all and I try to remain equally straight faced. "um, I have a bad tummy" I respond with some trepidation. Doctor Hurley then turns to his assistant Josie and whispers "what do I do Jose?" to which Josie without a word hands Will a plastic drumstick from their little drum kit. Smiling now that he gets to poke me with a stick, Will proceeds to probe my belly button with the drumstick.

That done, he turns to the 'all wise' Josie and whispers "what do I do next Jose?". Some unidentifiable plastic piece of something is handed over and Will repeats the poking. Done with being prodded I ask: "Do I need to take any medicine?" Obviously Josie is the only one who knows, so after consulting with her Will hands me a plastic play bottle of ketchup. "How many tablets do I need to take?" I ask. A few hurried whispers later with Pharmasist Josie, Will annouces it's three.

I take my ketchup and return to the study rubbing my poor belly button. A few minutes later, Will's head appears around the door: "Are you coming again Mum?"

So to save myself and any other unfortunates from the perils of the plastic drumstick, for Josie's birthday we bought her a proper medical kit with which to examine us with, and with her birthday money from Great-Granny Mu and Great-Grandad Don, she is now offically kitted out with white coat and all! And her first patient? Will!

1 comment:

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Looks like your Kids are naturals! Keep that encouragement up and you wont have to worry about retirement! Maybe discourage it a little during the teenage years....

Very amusing

Jake