Monday 14 July 2008

I made it

After the brief bike ride on Saturday, I felt pretty good and wanted to keep going. Neal didn't seem very keen so we headed on back. I decided on Sunday that I'm really excited about the idea of doing the London to Paris trip, and have applied today for the information pack. I'm not sure that I'll get accepted so soon before the ride, but we'll see.

I also decided that if I am going to stand a chance, I should get back in the saddle, so put the bike in the car today and took it to work. Towards the afternoon I was beginning to think maybe I'd bitten off more than I could chew. It's a little over 21 miles home, and I'd only done 9.1 miles on Saturday.

In any case, with the help of Katie at work, who kindly schlepped my suit and laptop home in her car, and Paul tomorrow (kindly giving me a lift back), I set off. Immediately I could feel the saddle again, and thought to myself that this was going to be a long 21 miles!!

I'm so happy with myself, didn't stop once, even with a couple of killer uphill climbs. A lot of the motivation for keeping going was to see how far I'd get before Katie overtook.

You can see the route I took below.


View Larger Map

It follows an old Roman road, Ermin Street which used to be an unbroken road from Gloucester (Glevum in Roman) through Cirencester (Corinium) through to Silchester (Calleva Atrebatum).

I plan on attempting to go from Swindon to Cheltenham on Saturday, we'll see!

1 comment:

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Good for you Adam! Once your hind quarters callus up a bit, and the bleeding stops....and the hemeroids stop flaring... and you can eat solids again, it wont seem like work at all!! Seriously though, that is great. Annie and I trying to get into cycling here as well. It is a hugely popular sport here in Oregon (and specifically the town we live in).