Sunday 1 August 2010

Let them eat cake!

I always have to take a deep breath and dive into July, and hope to emerge at the other end with a reasonable amount of sanity intact. Not only is it the month that involves numerous school assemblies, concerts, trips, sports days and open days as the school year comes to an end, but between them my children clock up numerous birthday party invitations (currently they have one every Saturday between now and September) and other events that just fill every hourly crevice of the month. We do our own fair share of filling July with birthdays too: in the second half of July we have three in our immediate family alone - Albert who achieved his first birthday on the 16th, Rufus who turned 3 on the 28th, and Adam on the 30th. Add to that my nephew and my sister and a couple of friends, all in the last week of July, it's quite a celebratory week!

It always amuses me at how a first birthday celebration, those who are the most excited is not the birthday boy or girl themselves but virtually everyone else around them! Hounded by Will Josie and Buzz, we made sure he had presents and cards, and were all up as early as they could be (for that read: as early as Daddy allowed!) to present their gifts to a rather nonchalant Albie who as a typical 12 month old was just as interested in the paper and boxes that surrounded his gift than the gift itself. It was also interesting to note the plethora of noisy musical additions to the toy box...

In contrast to Albie, Rufus was acutely aware of his impending birthday and impressed me with his mathmatical knowledge as he counted down the days faithfully (but only down from ten, he hasn't got the fingers for more than that - or the patience!). We had planned to coincide the showing of Toy Story 3 at the cinema with Buzz's birthday and had the tickets booked. Overhearing a conversation between an excited Buzz, Josie and Will, I heard plans developing for the cinema trip to include what characters they were going to be dressed up as: Rufus as Buzz, (naturally), Josie as an alien, and Will as Woody. I laughed to myself as I listened to the discussion of what Daddy could go as. I abruptly stopped laughing as I they continued on to what Mummy was going to dress up as. Fortunately, Daddy was given 'grown-up Andy'(Jeans and T-shirt, I think we could persuade Daddy to that) and Mummy 'Andy's Mum' (the other choice was Barbie, but I think that may have required a bit too much effort, not to mention plastic surgery).

No comments: